Dothan in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Missionary Baptist Church
(side 1) In 1889, Georgia Baptists led by Reverend W. M. Carter organized the New Hope Baptist Church in the village of Poplar Head. Reverend Robert Nelson was called as the first pastor. In 1907, newly-elected trustees incorporated its successor, the First Colored Baptist Church. In 1912, under pastor Dr. Thomas Bellinger of Pensacola, the church purchased land from the Saxon family, erected its original building, and renamed itself the First Missionary Baptist Church. The pastorate of Reverend C. C. Clency began in 1926 but ended in a schism that resulted in creating the North Highland Baptist Church.
Erected 2004 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Missionary Baptist Church.
Location. 31° 13.905′ N, 85° 23.82′ W. Marker is in Dothan, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of Chickasaw Street and North Alice Street, on the right when traveling west on Chickasaw Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 370 Chickasaw Street, Dothan AL 36303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dothan Dixie Standpipe (approx. 0.3 miles away); Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Steamboat Era (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Federal Building (approx. half a mile away); 1905 Houston County Courthouse Bell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Houston County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Main Street Commercial Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dothan.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2017, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2017, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.