Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cortez in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Village of Cortez

 
 
The Village of Cortez Marker-Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 29, 2017
1. The Village of Cortez Marker-Side 1
Inscription. (Side 1)
Origin of the name CORTEZ cannot be proved but is thought to have begun with the inhabitants of a Spanish fishing "rancho" in this vicinity. The area was known as "Hunter's Point" to local residents until the 1880's. This is borne out by notations found on the U.S. Coast Survey of the Manatee River and vicinity in 1874. Manatee County Deed records show 110 acres here were purchased from Florida Land and Improvement (Disston Purchase) by Allen Gardner for $139.03 on April 17, 1883. In 1887 the 20 acre parcel surrounding and to the north of this site was subdivided and in Sept. 1888 a post office under the name CORTEZ was established with Charles D. Jones as postmaster. Mail came three times a week by boat from Braidentown. During the latter years of the 19th century the area was settled by commercial fishermen of English descent, most often coming here from the coastal counties of North Carolina, primarily Carteret and Onslow.
(continued on other side)
(Side 2)
(continued from other side)
The residents called the eastern shore of Sarasota Bay south of the village "THE KITCHEN" as its wealth of fish, scallops and other seafood made it possible for them to feed their families in hard times. Net fishing for the huge schools of black mullet was
The Village of Cortez Marker-Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 29, 2017
2. The Village of Cortez Marker-Side 2
the core of the Cortez fishing industry and thousands of pounds were annually caught, processed and shipped by boat to Cedar Key and later to Tampa after the railroad arrived there. Records show that by 1897 Cortez was a thriving fishing community with stores, a school and other refinements. The fish houses and other shoreline structures were virtually destroyed by the high waters and winds of the 1921 hurricane but the determined resident rebuilt and continued their chosen trade. Many descendants of the earliest families still reside in the immediate area or in Manatee County and some are still engaged in commercial fishing and related occupations.
 
Erected 1983 by The Manatee County Historical Commission in cooperation with the Board of County Commissioners.
 
Location. 27° 27.971′ N, 82° 41.132′ W. Marker is in Cortez, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of 46th Avenue West and 123rd Street Court West, on the left when traveling west on 46th Avenue West. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Star Fish Company and Restaurant. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12306 46th Avenue West, Cortez FL 34215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palma Sola Community Church
The Village of Cortez Marker looking south. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 29, 2017
3. The Village of Cortez Marker looking south.
(approx. 3.7 miles away); DeSoto Trail (approx. 4.7 miles away); Palma Sola (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Island Playhouse (approx. 5.2 miles away); The City of Anna Maria Historical Park (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Anna Maria Pier (approx. 5.4 miles away); Adams and Rogers Cemeteries (approx. 5.6 miles away); Passage Key (approx. 5.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement