Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McDonough in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lane's Place

 

—Heritage Park Historical Village —

 
Lane's Place Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
1. Lane's Place Marker
Inscription. Lane's country store was built in 1921 and originally stood at the intersection of Rock Quarry Road and Highway 42 in Stockbridge. It served officially as the company store for the quarry, but unofficially it was the social haunt for men in that area. In that day, country stores provided the only venue where men could gather to exchange news, talk, relax, and drink coffee. The store operated a filling and service station as well. Jerry Tolbert was last to own and operate this landmark store that the people of Henry County grew so fond of over the years.
 
Erected by Tony Moye.
 
Location. 33° 26.5′ N, 84° 7.217′ W. Marker is in McDonough, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker can be reached from Heritage Park Trail north of Lake Dow Road. Touch for map. Located within the Heritage Park Historical Village. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Lake Dow Road, McDonough GA 30252, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clements Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Steam Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); McDonough Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Detached Cookhouse
Lane's Place image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
2. Lane's Place
(within shouting distance of this marker); Miller's Saw Mill Replica (within shouting distance of this marker); Ola Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Huey UH-1H Was the Work Horse of Vietnam (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry County (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McDonough.
 
Regarding Lane's Place. This building was a landmark in Stockbridge for almost 80 years. Wiley Lane, who built the store in 1921, and his family lived in the rear of the structure, with three of his four children being born in the store. Lane's store became the general store for workers at the nearby rock quarry. The late Herman Talmadge, former Governor and State Senator, was a frequent visitor at the store in the 1940's and 1950's. The Lane children leased the store after Wiley Lane's death. The widening of S.R. 42/138 made it hard for people to utilize the store and competitors were installing self-service pumps.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Heritage Park Historic Museum and Veterans Museum. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
3. Heritage Park Historic Museum and Veterans Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 261 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement