Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio National Guard Armory

 
 
Ohio National Guard Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
1. Ohio National Guard Armory Marker
Inscription. With a mission to protect citizens at home and abroad, the Ohio National Guard was originally established as the Northwest Territory Militia in Marietta on July 25, 1788 and has fought in every war since the War of 1812. Built in 1914, this Ohio National Guard Armory served both as Regimental and Company B, 7th Infantry, O.N.G. Headquarters. Later Company. A, 166th Infantry, 37th Division, occupied the dual-purpose armory. The armory served Washington County as a departure point for soldiers leaving for service in World War I, World War II, and Korea. The armory also served the area in times of crisis and celebration, often used by the Red Cross, Marietta College, and other civic groups.
 
Erected 2003 by Washington County Veterans Service Commission, American Legion Post 64, V.F.W. Post 5018, AMVETS, Citizens Armory Preservation Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-84.)
 
Location. 39° 24.803′ N, 81° 27.301′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is on Front Street north of Butler Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. It is in front of the armory facing the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 241 Front St, Marietta,, Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Ohio National Guard Armory and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
2. Ohio National Guard Armory and Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lockmasterís House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Forty-Eight Pioneers (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northwest Ordinance Sesquicentennial Columns (about 600 feet away); American Union Lodge No. 1, F. & A. M. (about 700 feet away); First Congregational Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named First Congregational Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muskingum Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Memorial to the “Start Westward of the United States” (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Categories. MilitaryNotable Buildings
 
Ohio National Guard Armory image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 7, 2017
3. Ohio National Guard Armory
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 7, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A better photograph (no tents) showing the marker with the armory in the distance • A better panorama showing the entire building. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement