Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Garrett Park in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Garrett Park, MD

Incorporated 1898

 
 
Garrett Park, MD Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 8, 2017
1. Garrett Park, MD Marker
Inscription. In 1887, the Metropolitan Investment and Building Company laid out the town, named after Robert W. Garrett, President of the B. & O. Railroad. It was to be primarily residential, a short commuter train ride to Washington, D.C. Now, over one hundred years later, it remains residential with several small commercial firms located in the town-owned, Penn Place, a Post Office to which residents still come to pick up their mail, and a Town Hall, built in 1897 as a chapel. In 1975, the town was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Location. 39° 2.053′ N, 77° 5.687′ W. Marker is in Garrett Park, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Kenilworth Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. In front of the Garrett Park Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10814 Kenilworth Ave, Garrett Park MD 20896, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garrett Park, Md. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Garrett Park Waiting Room (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Linden Oak (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cemetery of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Church that Named a Community
Garrett Park, MD Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 8, 2017
2. Garrett Park, MD Marker
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Bethesda Meeting House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Historic Montrose School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Walter Johnson (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Garrett Park.
 
More about this marker. An identically worded marker with a image of the Town Hall stands at the Garrett Park Post Office (HMdb #218)
 
Also see . . .  Town of Garrett Park. National Register Nomination Form. (Submitted on May 9, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Garrett Park Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 8, 2017
3. Garrett Park Town Hall
“Completed in 1897, this building was built by subscription of townspeople as an Episcopal Chapel and meeting hall. In 1953 it was purchased by the Potomac Conference Corporation of Seventh Day Adventists and remained as a church until the Town purchased the building as its town hall in 1968.” — National Register Form
1898 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 8, 2017
4. 1898
The Town Hall Bell image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 8, 2017
5. The Town Hall Bell
Town Hall, 1892 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 8, 2017
6. Town Hall, 1892
Needlepoint seat cushion in the Garrett Park Post Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 9, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement