Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 20, 2016
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Side A
Inscription.
Side A
This church, Lansing's first congregation to affiliate nationally (with the Marshall Presbytery), was founded on December 17, 1847. It was organized by the Reverend Calvin Clark, an agent for the American Home Missionary Society. There were four members. The first pastor, the Reverend W. W. Atterbury, served from 1848 until May 1854. The congregation held its early services in a school, the legislative chambers of Lansing's first capitol, an inn, and a storage building called "God's Barn." It built its first permanent home, Lansing's first church edifice, in 1852.

Side B
The congregation's first church, at the intersection of Genesee Street and Washington Avenue, housed the first bell in Lansing in its fifty-five-foot tower. The bell was purchased with money raised by church women and was installed in 1856. For years it awakened Lansing, announced noon hour and curfew, and alerted firemen. The congregation's second church, at the intersection of Capitol Avenue and Allegan Street, was built in 1889. The church on this site, begun in 1947, was completed in 1953. The Molly Grove Chapel was added in 1984.
 
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1471C.)
 
Marker series. This

First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 20, 2016
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Side B
marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 44.091′ N, 84° 33.523′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on North Chestnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 North Chestnut Street, Lansing MI 48933, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Optometric Association (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan B. Hungerford House (about 600 feet away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Michigan Sharpshooters (approx. mile away); First Regiment Michigan Engineers (approx. mile away); Michigan (approx. mile away); Michigan State Capitol (approx. mile away); Austin Blair (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 20, 2016
3. First Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement