Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Paulís Church

 
 
St. Paulís Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
1. St. Paulís Church Marker
Inscription. Mariettaís second oldest, the German Evangelical “Kirche” built 1849. Became St. Paulís Evangelical Church 1872. English sermons began in 1909.
 
Erected by the Rotary Club of Marietta, marking a place in history with service since 1921.
 
Location. 39° 25.19′ N, 81° 27.174′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Scammel Street, on the right when traveling north on 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta (a few steps from this marker); House of Seven Porches (within shouting distance of this marker); Mound Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Presidentís Home of Marietta College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muskingum Academy / Marietta College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Betsey Mills Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ United Methodist Church (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Regarding St. Paulís Church. Names of this church
St. Paulís Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
2. St. Paulís Church and Marker
Inscription over door: “Evangelische St. Pauls Kirche — 1849.”
through history: German Evangelical Church ē St. Paulís Evangelical Church ē St. Paulís Evangelical and Reformed Church ē St. Paulís United Church of Christ. Today it is again known as Saint Paulís Evangelical Church.
 
Also see . . .  St. Paul's Evangelical Gathering – History. “What is now St. Paulís Evangelical Church began as the German Religious Society in 1838, serving new German immigrants arriving in the area in increasing numbers. The Society served people from all the Protestant groups the immigrants had left behind in their homeland. In 1839-40, the congregation was organized and chartered as the German Evangelical Church, and built its sanctuary at the corner of Fifth and Scammel Streets in 1849. That sanctuary has been in use by this congregation to the present time. In 1872, ĎSaint Paulísí replaced ĎGermaní in the churchís name.” (Submitted on May 20, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Paulís Church, Marietta Ohio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
3. St. Paulís Church, Marietta Ohio
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the inside of the church • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement