Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Erected by City of Marksville.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 31° 7.446′ N, 92° 4.098′ W. Marker is in Marksville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is on South Washington Street west of Tucker Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 230 South Washington Street, Marksville LA 71351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Watts-Dupuy-Scallan Home (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Joseph Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Presentation Convent Chapel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gremillion-Degrusha Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort De Russy Louisiana's Atchafalaya Basin (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Bowie Knife (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marksville.
Regarding Gardiner-Laborde Home. "...It was sold to Sam Gardiner in 1904 and then to the Benjamin Laborde family in 1945 and was their home until their demise. Mr. Laborde was the long-time principal of Marksville High School and former mayor of Marksville."
Pg. 22, entry H, "Historical Markers of Marksville, Louisiana"
Published 2009, by City of Marksville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 21, 2017.