Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Right Reverend John Strachan
Born in Scotland, Strachan came to Kingston in 1799. Ordained in 1803, he became rector of Cornwall and taught at its grammar school until named rector of York in 1812. In 1839 he was made the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto. A central figure in the "Family Compact", he was a member of the Executive (1818–36) and the Legislative (1820–41) Councils. He promoted public schooling and, in 1827, secured a charter for King's College of which he became first president. When, in 1849, King's College became the secular University of Toronto, he retired to found, in 1851, the Anglican Trinity College.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 45° 1.375′ N, 74° 43.714′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Sydney Street 0.1 kilometers north of Fourth Street East, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located near the entrance of Cornwall Collegiate & Vocational School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 437 Sydney Street, Cornwall, Ontario K6H 3H9, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cornwall Grammar School (here, next to this marker); War of 1812 The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Glengarry Fencibles (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The Founding of Cornwall (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Cornwall Canal (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); The French Presence in Cornwall (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Captain Samuel Anderson (approx. 3.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - John Strachan. (Submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.