Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Durant Park / Arch
William C. Durant was one of Michigan's most important industrialists and the founder of the General Motors Corporation. In 1919 Durant purchased this three-acre city block, once the estate of Mortimer Cowles, an Eaton Rapids carpenter who worked on the state capitol. Durant hired Kalamazoo landscape contractor Charles Maxon to create an urban Park. (Maxson also landscaped the Durant Motors Company's 500,000-square-foot facility on Verlinden Avenue in the City of Lansing.) In 1921 Durant donated the property to the city of Lansing as a park for north side residents. The park included flowerbeds and trees, serpentine concrete pathways, and a circular fountain basin in the center of the park. A parade marked the dedication on June 23, 1921.
Durant Park Arch
The city of Lansing erected the Durant Park Arch in 1924 in gratitude to automobile magnate William C. Durant, who donated this park to the city in 1921. That same year, he built a $3 million factory in Lansing, known as the "Ver Linden" Branch of Durant Motors, which produced the Durant and Star models. When it opened, the plant had 3,000 employees and was credited with increasing the city's population by 15,000 people. The Lansing-based Christman Company built the arch. The monument is built of brick masonry and Indiana limestone. The name
Erected 2005 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2147.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 44.482′ N, 84° 33.18′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Saginaw Street and N. Washington Avenue on E. Saginaw Street. Touch for map. Northwest Corner of Saginaw Street and Washington Avenue, just north of Lansing Community College. Marker is in this post office area: Lansing MI 48906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rogers-Carrier House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John T. Herrmann House (about 800 feet away); Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties (approx. ¼ mile away); Lansing Community College (approx. ¼ mile away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mack-e-te-be-nessy “Andrew J. Blackbird” c. 1815-1908 Drs. Pearl Kendrick and Grace Eldering (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jonas Salk 1914-1995 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
More about this marker. Arch is at the SE corner of Durant Park.
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. 4. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.