Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
War of 1812
St. John's Presbyterian Church
Founded in 1787 by the well known Scot, the Reverend John Bethune, St. John's Presbyterian Church and its people played an important role in the preservation of Canadian land and territorial claim during the war of 1812. Their first church building was a log cabin on 159 Pitt Street where the Bank of Montréal is currently located. This building was claimed by the British, and was used as a barrack by their troops for a period of time. Church Elders and members served in the war. Archibald McLean, an Elder, served with distinction with Sir Isaac Brock who was responsible for defending Upper Canada (now Ontario) against the United States. History tells us that Major-General Brock died in the presence of McLean at Queenston Heights. Through numerous acts of bravery, skill and foresight, our country was preserved by British Military Forces, Mohawk and other aboriginal supporters, Canadian Voltigeurs, Canadian Militia and the Glengarry Fencibles.
Erected 2013 by Government of Canada.
Location. 45° 1.106′ N, 74° 43.663′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Second Street East 0.1 kilometers east of Pitt Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Founding of Cornwall (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Cornwall Canal (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Right Reverend John Strachan (approx. half a kilometer away); Cornwall Grammar School (approx. half a kilometer away); The Glengarry Fencibles (approx. one kilometer away); The French Presence in Cornwall (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Captain Samuel Anderson (approx. 3.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.