James Turner, a Lansing pioneer, originally owned this property. A native of New York, Turner came to Lansing in 1847 from nearby Mason, where he was a merchant. He immediately opened a general store in the Seymour House, the first hotel in north Lansing. He was appointed deputy state treasurer in 1860 and elected to the state senate in 1866. Interested in education, he helped found the Misses Rogers' Seminary, later called the Michigan Female College (1855-1869). He was also active in the construction of plank roads and railroads in the Lansing area. Frank L. Dodge married Turner's daughter Abby in 1888 and purchased this house from Turner's widow in 1899. Dodge, a Democrat, was elected to the state legislature in 1883 and 1885. He was city alderman for twelve years and was active on several civic boards.
Gracefully situated high on the bank of the Grand River, this Classical Revival-style mansion built in 1858, was the home of prominent Lansing merchant James Turner (1820-1869). In 1899, Turner's son-in-law, Frank L. Dodge (1853-1929), bought and enlarged it. The three-story building,
Erected 1980 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0238.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 45.08′ N, 84° 33.12′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on North Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 E North Street, Lansing MI 48906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Presbyterian Church (was approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported permanently removed. ); North Lansing Brenke Fish Ladder (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties (approx. half a mile away); Michigan School for the Blind / Administration Building Durant Park / Arch (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rogers-Carrier House (approx. 0.8 miles away); John T. Herrmann House (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Grand River / Grand River History (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Also see . . .
1. How We Saved Turner Dodge House. (Submitted on June 30, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.)
2. Turner Dodge House. (Submitted on June 30, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.)
Categories. • Architecture • Politics •
More. Search the internet for Turner-Dodge House.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. 4. submitted on May 11, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.