L'Orignal in Prescott & Russell Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of l'Orignal
The earliest settlers in this area, Joseph La Rocque-Brune and Raymond Duffaut, had located by 1791. Five years later Nathaniel Treadwell, a land surveyor and speculator from Plattsburgh, New York, acquired the seigneury of Pointe-à-l'Orignal, some 23,000 acres. Treadwell built a sawmill and a grist-mill and opened roads. By 1812 a small community was established here named L'Orignal after the moose found in the Pointe area. In 1816 it became the capital of the newly-created Ottawa District. The court-house was erected in 1825 and four years later a post office was opened. An influx of French-speaking settlers increased L'Orignal's population which numbered 400 in 1850. In 1876, with a population of over 800, it was incorporated as a Village.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 45° 37.109′ N, 74° 41.536′ W. Marker is in L'Orignal, Ontario, in Prescott & Russell Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Longueuil Street (County Highway 11) and John Street, on the right when traveling north on Longueuil Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the front lawn of the French Catholic Elementary school called Saint-Jean Baptiste School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 Longueuil Street, L'Orignal, Ontario K0B 1K0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. District Court-House and Gaol 1825 (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Seigneury of L'Orignal (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Hawkesbury Mills (approx. 7.1 kilometers away); MacLeod Settlement (approx. 22.2 kilometers away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.