L'Orignal in Prescott & Russell Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Seigneury of L'Orignal
This area, the present township of Longueuil, was granted in 1674 to François Prévost, Town Major of Québec, and was the first seigneury in what is now Ontario. Known originally as the seigneury of "Pointe à L'Orignac", it was not developed until the Hon. Joseph Le Moyne de Longueuil, seigneur since 1778, granted portions to settlers during 1784–90. Nathaniel Hazard Treadwell purchased the seigneury in 1796, built mills and roads and expanded settlement. A United States citizen, Treadwell left Canada during the War of 1812 and forfeited his lands, but later regained these and sold the seigneury to his son Charles in 1824. By 1873 most of the seigneurial lands had passed out of the family.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 45° 37.412′ N, 74° 41.016′ W. Marker is in L'Orignal, Ontario, in Prescott & Russell Counties. Marker is on Front Road West (County Highway 24) one kilometer east of John Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at the entrance to L'Orignal Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 772 Front Road West, L'Orignal, Ontario K0B 1K0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured District Court-House and Gaol 1825 (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Founding of l'Orignal (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Hawkesbury Mills (approx. 6.4 kilometers away); MacLeod Settlement (approx. 22.5 kilometers away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.