L'Orignal in Prescott & Russell Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
District Court-House and Gaol 1825
In 1816 the Ottawa district was established and the Courts of Quarter Session, which at that time possessed local administrative as well as judicial authority, were held in the Township of Longueuil. In 1824 Jacob Marston donated a plot of land in this vicinity for the use of the court. By September, 1825, the central portion of the present building, constructed by Donald McDonald and Walter Beckworth, contractors, was completed. Designed in the Loyalist Neo-Classic style, this is the oldest remaining court-house in the province. Extensive additions were made in 1861–62.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 45° 37.154′ N, 74° 41.443′ W. Marker is in L'Orignal, Ontario, in Prescott & Russell Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Queen Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling east on Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1027 Queen Street, L'Orignal, Ontario K0B 1K0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Founding of l'Orignal (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Seigneury of L'Orignal Hawkesbury Mills (approx. 6.9 kilometers away); MacLeod Settlement (approx. 22.2 kilometers away).
Also see . . . L'Orignal Old Jail tourist attraction. (Submitted on June 1, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.