Carleton Place in Lanark County, Ontario — Central Canada
Founding of Carleton Place
The families of Edmond Morphy and William Moore became in 1819 the first settlers on the site of Carleton Place. About 1822 Hugh Boulton built a mill here on the Mississippi River which provided the nucleus around which a community, known as "Morphy's Falls", had become established by 1824. It also contained a sawmill, stores, a tavern, tannery, ashery and blacksmith's shop, and later a textile mill and stove foundry. A post-office named "Carleton Place" was opened in 1830. The completion of railway lines from Brockville in 1859 and Ottawa in 1870 greatly stimulated the growth of Carleton Place. It was incorporated as a village in 1870 with a population of 1200 and became a town in 1890.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 45° 8.259′ N, 76° 9.043′ W. Marker is in Carleton Place, Ontario, in Lanark County. Marker is at the intersection of Flora Street and McRostie Street, on the right when traveling south on Flora Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in Centennial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Carleton Place, Ontario K7C 3M1, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain A. Roy Brown, D.S.C. (approx. 0.6 kilometers "Auld Kirk" 1836 (approx. 9.8 kilometers away); Former Almonte Post Office (approx. 10.4 kilometers away); The Founding of Almonte (approx. 10.4 kilometers away); The Rosamonds in Almonte (approx. 10.4 kilometers away); Mississippi River Improvement Company (approx. 10.5 kilometers away); Dr. James Naismith (approx. 13.2 kilometers away); Robert Tait McKenzie (approx. 14.5 kilometers away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.