Gas, Dredges, Beer, and Pianos
Gwynns Falls Trail
(Inscription next to the image on the lower left)
Electricity poles lean, but a gas streetlight remains upright after a snowstorm in 1911.
(Inscription above the image at the bottom center)
Bayard Street Station, which still stands, was a part of the Chesapeake Gas Works in the late 1800s.
(Inscription above the image in the upper right)
The William Knabe Piano Co. was a major employer of German immigrants. Its site is now part of the Camden Yards stadium complex.
Erected by Gwynn Falls Trail Council/ A Project of the Parks & People Foundation
Location. 39° 16.658′ N, 76° 38.041′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Bayard Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1415 Bayard Street, Baltimore MD 21230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Clare, the Georgia Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walters Public Bath House No. 2 (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1917 – 1918 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carroll Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); James L. (Jim) Caskey, Jr. (approx. half a mile away); Mt. Clare (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Mt. Clare (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Mount Clare (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker. From the Baltimore Heritage Organization website.
Opened in 1885 as the headquarters of the Chesapeake Gas Works Company, 1415 Bayard Street was the valve house for an immense gas production facility until a merger with the company that became BG&E near the turn of the century. In 1904, the Baltimore Gas Appliance Manufacturing Company used another building (still standing) on the site to manufacture the Oriole Stove that anchored many Baltimore kitchens. The valve house retains
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 3, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.