Farmington Hills in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Three mills and a small village, including a cooper's shop, a soap factory, a shoemaker's shop, a slaughterhouse and a tannery comprised Sleepy Hollow in the 1830's. In 1827 a grist mill was built on this spot along this rapidly flowing branch of the Rouge River by Edward and Harmon Steele, who came from East Bloomfield, New York. This was the first grist mill in Farmington Township, and the only mill in southeast Oakland County. With Howland Mason as partner, they also built a saw mill just downstream of this location. Another saw mill was built by Reverend Eri Prince about one-half mile west and upstream of this site.
When John T. Little bought the mill in the 1840's, he renamed it "Pernambuco" (after a port in Brazil) in memory of his days as a sailor. The area then became known as Pernambuco Hollow, and Pernambuco Flour was widely esteemed in Detroit. Peter Hardenbergh purchased the mill in 1868; it was Hardenbergh's Mill until 1886, and Hardenbergh's Flour. All the millers lived in the Miller's Cottage across the road. The Miller's Cottage was moved from its current location on the south bank by the City of Farmington Hills in 1988 to accommodate the paving of Drake Road. The other home, located immediately south of the Miller's Cottage, was built in the late 1830's on that site by Mark Arnold, the local cooper.
Erected 1988 by Farmington Hills Historical Commission.
Location. 42° 29.361′ N, 83° 24.041′ W. Marker is in Farmington Hills, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Drake Road and Howard Road, on the left when traveling north on Drake Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmington MI 48331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Gray - Spicer House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Spicer House (approx. 1½ miles away); "The Stuart Little Pond" (approx. 1½ miles away); Spicer Barn (approx. 1½ miles away); Goodenough - Spicer Stable (approx. 1½ miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lemuel Botsford House (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington Hills.
Also see . . .
1. 1827 Miller's Cottage. Video tour of the Miller's Cottage. (Submitted on June 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Farmington Hills Historic Districts. See #16 for more information about the Mark Arnold house. (Submitted on June 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.