Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Gulf in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church

1890 - 1957

 

óWindsor Battlefield Tour ó

 
Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. During 1890, the priest's house was constructed and the mission received a Christmas gift from the Society at Brussels for "Poor Churches" as one of the most destitute churches of the diocese. This gift probably contained the vestments and altar hangings. In 1871, Father Huber reported to Bishop Elder that the value of the church, lot and house, was approximately $3,500. For the next eight years, the mission was occasionally served by several priests. In late 1870's a school operated at the church. The school created a financial drain on the church treasury, so parents were charged a monthly tuition to meet the cost, an increasing hardship on families in a declining community economy and population. During the 1927 flood, the church was damaged but repaired the following year. By 1933, the population of Rodney had diminished to less than 100. By 1937, only seven communicants remained at Sacred Heart, and services were that year discontinued. In February 1969, the Natchez-Jackson Diocese deeded the property to the Rodney Foundation for the most outstanding of the few remaining examples in Mississippi of carpenter gothic church architecture.
 
Erected by the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission.
 
Location. 32° 1.835′ N, 91° 
Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church
Marker is middle one of the three.
3.148′ W. Marker is in Grand Gulf, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Grand Gulf Road and River Road. Touch for map. Located at the Grand Gulf Military Park (Fee charged). Marker is at or near this postal address: 12006 Grand Gulf Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Confederate Memorial Chapel (here, next to this marker); Scotia (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Wheel (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Gulf Military Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Buildup for War (about 300 feet away); War Comes to Grand Gulf (about 300 feet away); Supporting Battery (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Gulf.
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches, Etc.Disasters
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement