Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Heigold Facade
This was a period of unrest and attacks on Irish and German immigrants, not long after the infamous Bloody Monday incident in 1855. In order to prove his patriotism and loyalty to America, he carved inscriptions and busts of American notables into the facade of the house. Among the incised mottos is one reading, "Hail to the City of Louisville." Heigold died shortly after the facade was completed in 1865, and his son Charles lived there until his death in 1925.
The Heigold house was one of only a few structures on the Point to survive the Great Flood of 1937, and the only one still inhabitable. The house survived until 1953 when the city purchased the property in order to expand the city dump.
Mayor Charles Farnsley saved the facade of the house from demolition by moving it to Thruston Park on River Road between Adams and Ohio streets. In June of 2007, the facade was moved to the entrance of historic Frankfort Avenue.
Location. 38° 15.839′ N, 85° 43.505′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker is at Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville KY 40206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Since 1842 / Since 1858 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lincoln Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Kentucky School for the Blind (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lincoln’s Ties To Kentucky (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hannah Toliver (approx. 0.9 miles away in Indiana); Thomas Edison Butchertown House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Catherine Spalding / St. Vincent Orphanage and Infirmary (approx. one mile away); Duty Honor Country (approx. one mile away in Indiana). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Also see . . . The Heigold House, Mystery Behind The Façade (Louisville Uncovered). (Submitted on June 6, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.