Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Russells Point in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Interurban Transportation

 
 
Interurban Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 5, 2017
1. Interurban Transportation Marker
Inscription. In the early 1900ís, advertising could be found in major newspapers proclaiming “Hourly service to Indian Lake, Russells Point and Lakeview.” Interurban Railway Cars were designed by the Ohio electric Company to save gas and transport people to their destinations quicker. The wooden rail cars operated using electric propulsion without soot, smoke and the noise from steam locomotives. They were considered a novelty by those who could afford the ticket fare and Interurban operators often developed resorts along their lines to give folks a reason to buy a ticket and make a journey. Once it was discovered that the DC current used for the early interurban cars could be converted to Ac current with transformers, the electric from the Interurban rail system was tapped by many towns as the first electricity into the town.

The ease of visiting the Indian Lake area was enhanced by this new technology. Hotels, eateries, amusements and an ice cream factory sprang up immediately. Transportation and electricity quickly led to band concerts, and the construction of the first dance hall. “Dreamland” (circa 1911). “Sandee Gables” off the shore of Wolf Island and the “Chatauqua Auditorium” on Orchard Island became other early attractions. In approximately 1939, after many changes in ownership, the Great

Interurban Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 5, 2017
2. Interurban Transportation Marker
full view of marker
Depression years and the increased private use of automobiles, the interurban passing by Indian Lake ceased operation. The steel rails and wooden ties have long disappeared but their path can still be seen in the community of Russells Point and throughout the countryside. They serve as a reminder of rich and colorful heritage of the past.
 
Erected 2017.
 
Location. 40° 28.351′ N, 83° 53.667′ W. Marker is in Russells Point, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on East Main Street (Route 366), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Behind the Taco Bell, are 3 pedestals, this is the one in the center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 E Main St, Russells Point OH 43348, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sandy Beach and the Big Band Era (here, next to this marker); Miami- Erie Canal / Lewistown Reservoir (a few steps from this marker); Boats of Indian Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); Sandy Beach Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Sandy Beach Park (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Our Lady of Fatima
Interurban Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 5, 2017
3. Interurban Transportation Marker
center pedestal is the marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Native Americans (within shouting distance of this marker); 1913 Flood (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Russells Point.
 
Categories. EntertainmentRailroads & Streetcars
 
Interurban Transportation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 5, 2017
4. Interurban Transportation Marker
detail of picture on marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement