Elma in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Elma Village Mill
The original Hurd and Briggs double sawmill was purchased from Joseph Fellows in 1845. The mill functioned as both a lumber and grist mill. Also contained in the mill structure was a shingle and cheese box factory. Clark W. Hurd owned the south saw while Joseph B. Briggs owned the north saw. Repair expenses were shared between the two.
The millrace was built on land that was previously used by Native Americans as a cornfield. This site also contained a board shanty named "The American". This building was used for storage and temporarily housed the workers who built the mill and dug the race.
Estimated Footprint of Original Hurd and Briggs Lumber/Grist Mill.
Erected 2009 by Boy Scout Troop 290.
Location. 42° 51.066′ N, 78° 38.372′ W. Marker is in Elma, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from Bowen Road 0.1 miles north of Cemetery Road. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elma Town Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Big Flats (within shouting distance of this marker); 1844 Springbrook Mill Gear Assembly (within shouting distance of this marker); Spring Brook (approx. 2.9 miles away); Our Men Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice (approx. 3.4 miles away); This Memorial is to Honor the Commitment (approx. 3.4 miles away); To Commemorate the Bravery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Zuidema-Idsardi House (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elma.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.