Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New and Improved but Not Soon Enough:

The M1918 Artillery Cart

 
 
New and Improved but Not Soon Enough Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, September 11, 2012
1. New and Improved but Not Soon Enough Marker
Inscription. By 1918, the developments in telephone and telegraphic communication played a major role in how armies fought on the battlefield. For artillerists, this meant the eventual end of signal flags and runners. Now forward observers could report back to the gunners over telegraph and field phones. But, unlike the wireless communications of today, this new way of sighting artillery required thousands of feet of wire and supporting equipment to make it work. The Artillery Reel Cart and Artillery Cart were developed to help “string wire”, over, through and around the trenches of World War One battlefields.

During the war, the primary vehicles for performing artillery support tasks were the 1909 Artillery Reel Cart and Artillery Cart. These carts were of wood construction and were of little protection for the equipment. In 1918, the Army contracted for a new Artillery Cart with an all metal box. The all metal box afforded the cartís cargo, often field phones, precious wire, communication equipment, and other support materials, a bit more protection from incoming rounds. There were several manufacturers of these carts for the Army, but the largest was the Holmes Automobile Company of Canton, Ohio. By the last months of the war, the demand for these carts was so great the Holmes stopped producing automobiles altogether. Despite

The M1918 Artillery Cart on display image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, September 11, 2012
2. The M1918 Artillery Cart on display
this heroic effort, only 721 of these carts were produced and less than half made it overseas before the Armistice.
 
Erected by U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center.
 
Location. 40° 12.367′ N, 77° 9.44′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker can be reached from Army Heritage Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Tough Nut To Crack (here, next to this marker); Loyalty (a few steps from this marker); The Front (within shouting distance of this marker); No Man's Land (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mortar Pit (within shouting distance of this marker); Sniper's Nest (within shouting distance of this marker); Selfless Service (within shouting distance of this marker); Splinter Proof (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
 
Categories. War, World I
 
Insert - War surplus carts image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, September 11, 2012
3. Insert - War surplus carts
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement