Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Carnegie Library

Town of Pendleton

 
 
Carnegie Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, June 7, 2017
1. Carnegie Library Marker
Side A
Inscription. Side A

Pendletonís first Library Association was formed in 1877. Subscribers paid $5 each for one of 200 association shares.

In 1906, 18 community residents formed the Independent Social Club. Each read a book, they brought it to a meeting. Members exchanged books until everyone had read them all. The library grew to 150 volumes, which were loaned to non-members at five cents a week. The library was located in Tankeís Drug Store.

Mrs. Sarah Skillen Cook and her fellow club members saw the possibility of building a library and approached Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Foundation, which agreed to give $8,000 if the town would guarantee $800 per year for upkeep. Thomas M. Hardy, Sr. donated land for the library. A tax was levied to provide the local match.

Side B

The Pendleton and Fall Creek Public Township Public Library was dedicated on March 1, 1912. The Major Henry G.A.R. Post donated 84 volumes of war history. The Saturday Club gave 110 volumes. Churches, clubs, other organizations, and individuals donated liberally.

Margaret Wade of the Anderson Public Library organized the Pendleton Library and served as its first librarian until 1913 when Evangeline Lewis was appointed librarian with her sister Maude Lewis assistant librarian. Financial donations from individuals, clubs, and
Carnegie Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, June 7, 2017
2. Carnegie Library Marker
Side B
organizations helped the library grow and add to its collections. The building served as Pendletonís library until 1991. On May 15, 2005, it was rededicated as Carnegie Learning Center, an alternative school.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
 
Location. 40° 0.081′ N, 85° 44.426′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East State Street and High Street, on the right when traveling east on East State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 E State St, Pendleton IN 46064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pendleton Town Hall Explosion (approx. ľ mile away); Falls Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Falls (approx. 0.4 miles away); Three White Men Were Hung Here (approx. 0.4 miles away); Abolitionists Mobbed (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indians Murdered 1824 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bicentennial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Massacre of Indians (approx. 7Ĺ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Additional keywords. Carnegie Library
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEducationNotable Buildings
 
Carnegie Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, June 7, 2017
3. Carnegie Library Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 101 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement