Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Aldie in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Elders of the Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church

 
 
Elders of the Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 12, 2017
1. Elders of the Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Beginning in the 1830s, disagreement over doctrine caused a split in the Baptist faith. Some Baptists wished to retain the teachings of the “old school,” favoring a more strict interpretation of the Bible. Disputes arose over the subjects of Sunday schools, theological seminaries, and the missionary movement which was becoming popular. They felt that missions took the preaching of the Gospel out of the hands of the Church. In September of 1850, fourteen members of the Little River Baptist Church left that congregation to form Mt. Zion Old School Baptist Church. The deed to the property was obtained in December of 1850, and the Federal-style. building was completed in 1851. The original section of the cemetery wall was built in 1853. Meetings were at Mt. Zion on the fourth Sunday of each month, and the preachers (who were called “elders”) were shared by other Old School Baptist churches in the area. Men and women entered the church through separate front doors. Women sat on the right side and men on the left. At a time when racial segregation was the norm, slave and free black members of the congregation entered through separate side doors and worshipped in the balcony. Services continued at Mt. Zion until 1980. The church trustees transferred the building and property, excluding the cemetery; to the County of Loudoun
Elders of the Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 12, 2017
2. Elders of the Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church Marker
in 1999. The County began restoration of the church in 2007, assisted bv the Mt. Zion Church Preservation Association. In 2009. Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority acquired the site and currently offers programs, guided tours, and living history events.
 
Location. 38° 57.817′ N, 77° 36.564′ W. Marker is in Aldie, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Lee Jackson Memorial Highway (U.S. 50) and Watson Road (Virginia Route 860), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40319 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway, Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Zion Historic Park ( here, next to this marker); The Fog of War ( a few steps from this marker); The Mosby-Forbes Engagement July 6, 1864 ( a few steps from this marker); Mt. Zion Church ( within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Zion Old School Baptist Church ( within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Zion Cemetery ( within shouting distance of this marker); Mother of Stonewall Jackson ( approx. 1.1 miles away); President Monroe’s Home ( approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aldie.
 
More about this marker. At Mount
Robert Leachman<br>1850 to 1869 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 12, 2017
3. Robert Leachman
1850 to 1869
Close-up of photo on marker
Zion Old School Baptist Church
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Joseph L. Purington<br>1869 to 1874 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 12, 2017
4. Joseph L. Purington
1869 to 1874
Close-up of photo on marker
J. N. Badger<br>1876 to 1913 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 12, 2017
5. J. N. Badger
1876 to 1913
Close-up of photo on marker
Horace H. Lefferts<br>1917 to 1949 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 12, 2017
6. Horace H. Lefferts
1917 to 1949
Close-up of photo on marker
John D. Wood<br>1949 to 1980 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 12, 2017
7. John D. Wood
1949 to 1980
Close-up of photo on marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on June 16, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   2. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 16, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement