Adrian in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
History of the Adrian Kiwanis Club
The purpose of the club reamins the altruistic support of the needs of the Adrian community, in particular the children and the elderly. The purposes and ideals of this club revolve around the Kiwanis motto of "We Build". Club Projects to raise money to support this Club's history of helping others make up a large portion of its legend.
There have been hundreds of significant projects initiated and/or supported with major contributions by the Adrian Kiwanis Club. Some of them include:
- The Interclub Council "Welcome to Adrian" signs at the North and West City Limits
- The Adrian High School Football Press Box
- The Adrian Community Preschool Building
- Sponsored the room that is now the Fitness Center at the YMCA
- Major contributors to the City Ice Rink and Swimming Pool Funds
- Major force and catalyst to several city parks: Comstock Park and Trestle Park
- The Kiwanis Trail and the Ted Durst Kiwanis Gateway Park
- The Flag Pole atop the Lenawee County Courthouse
- Playground equipment at Garfield and McKinley Schools
- Contributed to the Soccer Fields at Centennial Park and Island Park Playground
Ted Durst was a long time member of the Adrian Kiwanis Club. He led the Kiwanis Community Pride Committee that was dedicated to public beautification. Ted donated this park property to the City of Adrian on behalf of Kiwanis. The City named the park in Ted's honor only weeks before Ted's death in 2014.
Now at over 100 members, the Adrian Kiwanis Club remains a vibrant promoter of improvements in the greater Adrian community.
Location. 41° 53.983′ N, 84° 2.489′ W. Marker is in Adrian, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is at the intersection of West Maumee Street (Business U.S. 223) and West Church Street (Business U.S. 223), on the right Touch for map. Marker is in Ted Durst Kiwanis Gateway Park. Marker is in this post office area: Adrian MI 49221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of Kiwanis Trail and Trestle Park (a few steps from this marker); Spirit of Cooperation (a few steps from this marker); The First House Built in Adrian (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Adrian's Prominent Leaders (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cooley Law Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frank Navin & The Detroit Tigers (approx. ¼ mile away); Professional Baseball in Adrian (approx. ¼ mile away); The Antislavery - Underground Railroad Movement (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adrian.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.