Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Crescent Hill Reservoir and Gatehouse
The most notable feature is the Gatehouse, which controlled the rush of water in and out of the Reservoir. Chief Engineer Charles Hermany chose a Gothic ornamental design. Urns at each corner of the roof denote the flow of water.
After the Reservoir opened, Louisville Water Company's president said the facility would be a "pleasant place of attraction to visitors.”
Today the Reservoir and Gatehouse are one of the most tranquil landmarks in Louisville.
Location. 38° 15.408′ N, 85° 40.814′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Reservoir Avenue 0.1 miles north of Frankfort Avenue (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located next to the Crescent Hill Reservoir Pump House on Reservoir Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville KY 40206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Filtration Plant / Reservoir and Gatehouse (within shouting distance of Kentucky School for the Blind (approx. 1.8 miles away); Since 1842 / Since 1858 (approx. 1.9 miles away); Enid Yandell (1869-1934) / Renowned Woman Sculptor (approx. 1.9 miles away); Water Works Pumping Station (approx. 2 miles away); Water Filtration Experiments (approx. 2 miles away); Louisville Water Works (approx. 2 miles away); George Rogers Clark (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Also see . . .
1. Crescent Hill Reservoir and Gatehouse, Louisville Water Company. (Submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Crescent Hill Reservoir on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.