Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Adamstown in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Carroll's Mill

 
 
Carroll's Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 9, 2008
1. Carroll's Mill Marker
Inscription. Stone structure nearby was flour mill built in 1812 by Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737-1832), wealthy landowner and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Site was within his 17,000-acre wilderness tract called "Carrollton Manor." He deeded the mill to Sarah Ann Hoffman in 1821, and subsequent owners were named Doub, Copeland and Smith.
 
Erected by Maryland Bicentennial Commission and Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 18.13′ N, 77° 29.237′ W. Marker is near Adamstown, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of Pleasant View Road and Doubs Road, on the right when traveling east on Pleasant View Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Adamstown MD 21710, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carrollton Manor ( approx. 2 miles away); Abraham Lakin 2nd ( approx. 3 miles away); Point of Rocks ( approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named Point of Rocks ( approx. 3.2 miles away); The Dutchman’s ( approx. 3.3 miles away); a different marker also named
Carroll's Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 9, 2008
2. Carroll's Mill Marker
Point of Rocks ( approx. 3.4 miles away); “Carrollton” (was approx. 3.5 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Lockhouse 28 ( approx. 3.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Carroll's Mill image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 9, 2008
3. Carroll's Mill
The mill stands just to the west of the marker. Clearly in need of some repair.
Another View of the Mill image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 9, 2008
4. Another View of the Mill
Looking from the west of the mill.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,071 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement