Floydada in Floyd County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Floydada
After the county was organized in 1890 and Floydada was named county seat, the Northwest Conference of the Methodist Church established a congregation here. Initially served by The Rev. W. F. Ford, the membership held worship services in the local schoolhouse.
In 1902 a community church was erected in the 300 block of N. Main Street. Although legally owned by the Methodists, the sanctuary was also used by other denominations in town. The building was moved to this site in 1913 and replaced by a red brick structure in 1918.
As the congregation continued to grow, plans were made for larger church facilities. New buildings were erected beginning in 1953, and the red brick church was eventually razed.
For over one hundred years, the First Methodist Church of Floydada has served the community with worship, educational, and outreach programs.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1753.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 West Kentucky Street, Floydada TX 79235, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Floydada Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Floydada Chapter No. 31, Order of the Eastern Star (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Floydada (about 600 feet away); First National Bank of Floydada (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commercial Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Organization of Floyd County (approx. ¼ mile away); Dolphin Ward Floyd (approx. ¼ mile away); Floydada, Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floydada.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.