Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Coﬀee High School
Coffee High School opened at this site in the fall of 1917. Camilla Coffee donated the land in honor of her late husband, Capt. Alexander D. Coffee, son of Gen. John Coffee, a Founding Father of Florence. Because of her generosity, the school was named Coffee. Built a the cost of $95,000, it has 18 rooms, an auditorium and a courtyard. The school served grades 8 through 11. Thirteen students graduated in 1918. It received accreditation as a secondary school in 1920. A red two-room frame structure was moved from Patton School to this site in 1921 for added classrooms and, later, as the band room.
Erected 2017 by Coffee High School Class of 1950.
Location. 34° 48.444′ N, 87° 40.539′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Hermitage Drive (County Route 47) and North Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south on Hermitage Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General George Washington Goethals' Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); George H. Carroll Lion Habitat (approx. 0.2 miles away); Locust Dell Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pope's Tavern Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seminary - O'Neal Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherry Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesleyan Hall 1855 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesleyan Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.