New Riegel Parish and Convent
St. Boniface Catholic Church began in 1834 as a mission of several area churches and in 1836, the parish built its first church. in 1844 Bishop John Purcell commissioned Swiss born Father Francis de Sales Brunner, a Missionary of the Precious Blood, to take pastoral charge of St. Boniface. Under the leadership of Father Brunner, the Missionaries of the Precious Blood, established in Italy in 1815, and the Sisters of the Precious Blood, founded in Switzerland in 1834, began ministry here in New Riegel (Wolfcreek) in 1844. Over two hundred acres of land were purchased for the priests, brothers, and sisters. The Missionaries brought spiritual support, farm labor, and education to the German immigrants of New Riegel. The sisters began their ministry of prayer in the convent, Mary at the Crib, on December 22, 1844.
A school was opened in the Sisters of the Precious Blood convent whwere both orphan children and boarding girls received a Christian education. The orphanage closed in 1912 and later the sisters taught in the New Riegel Public School until 1976. A Cloister was established in the convent for the Sisters of the Precious Blood in 1954 and closed in 1979. Responding to the needs of the time the sisters initiated the sale of the convent and property in 1979. In 2001 fire destroyed the former
Erected 2007 by Missionaries of the Precious Blood (Carthagena) Sisters of the Precious Blood (Dayton) The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-74.)
Location. 41° 3.295′ N, 83° 19.288′ W. Marker is in New Riegel, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is on North Perry Street (Ohio Route 587), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Riegel OH 44853, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sheriden Cave (approx. 8.2 miles away); Fort Ball (approx. 8.6 miles away); State's First Female Lawyers (approx. 8.6 miles away); Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (approx. 8.6 miles away); Camp Ball (approx. 8.7 miles away); Founding of Tiffin (approx. 8.7 miles away); Colonel Crawford (approx. 9.1 miles away); Risdon Square (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 30, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.