Paducah in Cottle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cottle County Courthouse
A geographically central site was selected as county seat and named for Paducah, Kentucky, hometown of settler Richard Potts. County business was conducted in existing homes until a permanent courthouse, a small one-story frame building, was finished in May 1892. That was replaced in November 1894 with a two-story brick buildling, with a prominent bell tower, designed by J. A. White.
The Cottle County economy flourished, and in April 1929, county commissioners awarded a contract for a new courthouse to architect C. H. Leinbach. Four days later, they rescinded that order and the citizens voted on $150,000 in courthouse bonds, a measure that failed outside Paducah but passed in the city and carried overall. The county gave a new contract to the Wichita Falls firm of Voelcker and Dixon, designers of 11 courthouses across Texas. In the fall of 1929, work began here on one of the premier Art Deco style courthouses in the state,
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13447.)
Location. 34° 0.824′ N, 100° 18.084′ W. Marker is in Paducah, Texas, in Cottle County. Marker is on Richards Street east of 9th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the courthouse lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Paducah TX 79248, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gray and The Blue (within shouting distance of this marker); Cottle County (was about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); Quanah Parker Trail (about 500 feet away); Gober-Barron-Williford House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Garden of Memories Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.