Turkey Cove in Lee County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Seminary United Methodist Church
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number X-24.)
Location. 36° 48.658′ N, 82° 50.042′ W. Marker is in Turkey Cove, Virginia, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Seminary Church Loop (Old U.S. 58) and Seminary Road (County Route 708), on the left when traveling north on Seminary Church Loop. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Stone Gap VA 24219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Turkey Cove (a few steps from this marker); Members of Congress Donelsonís Indian Line (approx. 2.6 miles away); Southwest Virginia Museum (approx. 4.7 miles away); Carl Martin (approx. 5 miles away); Big Stone Gap (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Big Stone Gap (approx. 5.2 miles away); Origins of Big Stone Gap (approx. 5.2 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced another with the same number but titled “Seminary Methodist Church” that was erected between 1937 and 1941. That marker read, “The foundation of this Methodist church was laid in 1851 and built from brick made near the church. The first Board of Trustees: Henry C. Slemp, W.N.G. Barron, James F. Jones, John W. Slemp, John Snodgrass. First Circuit Rider: W.W. Farthing.”
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.