Quanah in Hardeman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Recreated August 21, 1876
Organized December 30, 1884
Named in honor of
Bailey Hardeman, 1785-1836,
signer of the
Texas Declaration of Independence,
Thomas Jones Hardeman, 1788-1854
member of the
Texas Congress and Legislature
County seat, Margarette, 1884-1890
Quanah, since, in honor of
Quahan Parker, a Comanche Chief
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2370.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 34° 17.515′ N, 99° 45.094′ W. Marker is in Quanah, Texas, in Hardeman County. Marker is on West 11th Street west of Hughes Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in Quanah Garden Club Park. Marker is in this post office area: Quanah TX 79252, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity Church of Quanah (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Quanah (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hardeman County Courthouse (approx. Quanah Parker (approx. ¾ mile away); Hardeman County Jail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail Arrow (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Jesse McDonald (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store (approx. 11½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quanah.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.