Near Vernon in Wilbarger County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Lockett Community
Other early settler families whose members and descendants have made noteworthy contributions in the development of the community include the following: Lowe-1882, Streit-1882, Hofmann-1883, Krebs-1883, Davenport-1884, Bunker-1888, McKee-1889, Lewis-1889, McGill-1890, Wiseman-1890, Keltz-1890, Guggisberg-1893, Lehman-1896, Cato-1897, Leverett-1898, Weekley-1898, Kincheloe-1900, Foerster-1901, Haseloff-1901, Schoppa-1901, Obenhaus-1902, Frank-1905, Karcher-1906, Kretschmer-1906, Gloyna-1906, Wenzel-1906, Darsey-1906, Schmoker-1907, Standlee-1907, Fluhman-1907, Schur-1907, Middleton-1907, Wiederanders-1907, Bruns-1907, Milner-1909, Keschnick-1910, Gfeller-1910, Bodling-1911, Graf-1916, Roberson-1923.
The first school was established in the community by Mr. I. Davenport in 1885 on his Section No. 112.
The first church was organized by the Methodists in 1887, with the congregation meeting in the Davenport and Paradise school buildings until 1898 when the first Wesley Chapel building was built (1 1/4 mi. S.W). In 1934 a new building was erected (1/2 mi. W). Baptists used the Lockett and Highland school buildings until the Highland Baptist Church building was constructed in 1909 (1 1/4 mi. N.E.). The name was changed to the Lockett Baptist Church in 1915 and the First Baptist Church of Lockett was established at the present location in 1924. The Zion Lutheran Church and School was established in 1910, the Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Community's first cotton gin was owned and operated by Frank Weiss in 1908 (1 1/2 mi. W) and other early ginning facilities were provided by E. M. Keenan, J. H. Kincheloe and F. S. Lockett. The first blacksmith shop was operated by John Kreschemer at his farm home (1 1/2 mi. S.W.). Other shops were operated here later by C. R. Dale and W. W. Ashcraft. An early day Beef Club was operated by C. Schoppa at his farm home for many years. Davenport Bros. owned and operated the first general store in 1911 (1 3/4 mi. S.E.) and another general store was established here in 1911 (1-3/4 mi. S.E.) and another general store was established here in 1918 by Lockett Bros. It was later sold to Kern Bros. and combined with their oil and gas business, then still later it was owned and operated by J. W. Solomon.
The Wilbarger Memorial Park an Mausoleum was established in 1952 (1 3/4 mi. N.E.). The Zion Church cemetery is still used but the old Lockett Cemetery at the former location of the Highland Church and the Paradise Cemetery at the old Paradise School location have ceased to be used.
The first subdivision in the Lockett, Texas town site was created by F.S. Lockett in 1930. The headquarters offices for the Aubrey L. Lockett Gins -1924; the Lockett Farms-1934; and the Lockett Seed Company -1947, were maintained here
This marker was provided, in cooperation with the Texas Historical Commission and the Texas Highway Department, by the Lockett Foundation (a charitable organization established in 1976 as a memorial for Frank Scott Lockett and Ida Lowe Lockett) to furnish an example of its purposes to provide perpetuity for worthy causes. The land for the marker site was furnished by the Sue Virgie Lockett Cato family from the original T.J. Lockett homestead tract.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission and the Texas Highway Department, by the Lockett Foundation. (Marker Number 3108.)
Location. 34° 5.018′ N, 99° 22.158′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vernon TX 76384, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilbarger County (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Great Western Trail (approx. 5.9 miles away); Red River Valley Museum (approx. 5.9 miles away); Waggoner-Hicks House (approx. 6.3 miles away); W. D. Berry Home (approx. 6.6 miles away); Wilbarger County WWI Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away); Early Wilbarger County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Napoleon 12 Pounder Bronze Field Gun Model 1857 (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vernon.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.