Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties
Michigan Education Association
When completed in 1928, this building marked the Michigan Education Association's seventy-fifth anniversary. The Lansing architectural firm of Warren Holmes-Powers Company designed the Neo-Georgian structure. The symmetry, limestone quoining, projecting entrance and the broken pediment topping the center second-story window typify the style. The Michigan Education Association (MEA) was organized in 1847 in Ann Arbor. By the 1960s operations expanded and a larger facility was needed. In 1964 the organization moved to new offices. The MEA Building has housed many different enterprises. In 1988 it became the headquarters of the Michigan Association of Counties.
Michigan Association of Counties
On February 1, 1898, township and city officials met in the capitol and founded the Michigan State Association of Supervisors (MSAS). The group served as a liaison between the legislature and county government, and worked for statewide rather than parochial interests. In the 1950s a director was hired and an office opened in a quonset hut at Michigan State University in East Lansing. In 1957 the Institute for Local Government merged with the MSAS. That year offices were relocated to Lenawee Street in Lansing. In December 1969 the group adopted the name Michigan Association of Counties. The
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S0625.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 44.67′ N, 84° 33.132′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Washington Avenue and W. Kilborn Street on N. Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lansing MI 48906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Durant Park / Arch (approx. ¼ mile away); Rogers-Carrier House (approx. 0.3 miles away); John T. Herrmann House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Turner-Dodge House (approx. half a mile away); Lansing Community College (approx. half a mile away); The Grand River / Grand River History (approx. half a mile away); Carnegie Library (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Categories. • Education • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on July 5, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. 3, 4. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.