Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guthrie in King County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

King County Courthouse

 
 
King County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
1. King County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Created in 1876, King County organized in 1891. Its first courthouse, a two-story frame structure, was destroyed in 1905 by a tornado. The next house of justice, built of sandstone, burned in 1914. That same year, the county hired Fort Worth architect Ernest E. Churchill to design a new courts building. The two-story concrete structure served as the courthouse until 1982, when the county converted it to a library and built a new courthouse. The Classical Revival edifice exhibits prairie-style influences. Today, it remains a testament to the aspirations of early 20th-century King County residents.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
 
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2945.)
 
Location. 33° 37.137′ N, 100° 19.337′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Texas, in King County. Marker is on South Baker Street (U.S. 83), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 South Baker Street, Guthrie TX 79236, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King County (approx. 2.2 miles away).
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
King County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
2. King County Courthouse Marker
King County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
3. King County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement