Near Guthrie in King County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A population of only 173 in 1890 was aided in formal organization by petitions signed by itinerants. Names of favorite horses were also added. Organization came on June 25, 1891. In establishing county seat, cowboys voted for Guthrie, which won over Ashville, choice of the ranchers.
Erected 1965 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2944.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 37.925′ N, 100° 21.422′ W. Marker is near Guthrie, Texas, in King County. Marker is on U.S. 82 2½ miles west of Guthrie, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guthrie TX 79236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King County Courthouse (approx. 2.2 miles away); Pitchfork Ranch (approx. 10.4 miles away).
More about this marker.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.