Crosbyton in Crosby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Crosby County Courthouse
The second county seat was established in 1890 at Emma (named for the fiancee of R. L. Stringfellow, one of the town's promoters), nine miles west of here. The courthouse at Estacado was taken down, moved and rebuilt at cost of $3,000. It served 20 years.
When the Crosbyton-South Plains Railroad was built in 1910, Emma was four miles off its route. Crosbyton won an election as the new county seat, and Julian Bassett (one of the founders of Crosbyton) donated a site for the courthouse. The county court met in the schoolhouse until the building of the present courthouse and jail in 1914. County judge at that time was Pink Parrish. Commissioners were John K. Fullingim, W. E. McLaughlin, J. A. Noble and R. M. Wheeler.
This commemoration is by the 1965 Commissioners Court. County judge, Cecil Berry; Commissioners: Leilan Caddell, Curt Hendrick, Jack Henry, W. C. Odom.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee
Location. 33° 39.516′ N, 101° 14.384′ W. Marker is in Crosbyton, Texas, in Crosby County. Marker is at the intersection of South Berkshire Avenue and West Aspen Street, on the right when traveling south on South Berkshire Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Crosbyton TX 79322, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lamar Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Work Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rock House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crosbyton (about 500 feet away); Henry Clay Smith (about 500 feet away); Crosby County (about 500 feet away); Citizens National Bank (about 600 feet away); J. J. Pierce (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crosbyton.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.