Eastland in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Eastland County Courthouse
Following oil and natural gas booms in the 1910s and 1920s, voters approved $300,000 in bonds for a new building designed by the Dallas architectural firm of Otto H. Lang and Frank O. Witchell. The grand new building opened by December 1928 with space for county, district and appellate courts and offices. The Art Deco style courthouse exhibits stepped massing in its design, with prominent wings accenting a central tower. The building is clad in brick with ornate decorative terra cotta trim and ornamentation.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2007 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16983.)
Location. 32° 24.071′ N, 98° 49.097′ W. Marker is in Eastland, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Seaman Street (Texas Route 6) and West Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south on South Seaman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Main Street, Eastland TX 76448, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eastland (here, next to this marker); Early Banking in Eastland (a few steps from this marker); The Bankhead Highway (a few steps from this marker); Eastland County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Salmon / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense Early Settlers of Eastland County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Christian Church (about 400 feet away); Connellee - Majestic Theatre (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastland.
Also see . . . Texas Escapes on the Eastland County Courthouse (with photos). (Submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
1. Old Rip
A window exhibit on the north side of the courthouse tells the tale of "Old Rip":
In 1897 when the cornerstone of the new Courthouse was dedicated, Earnest Wood, Justice of the Peace, who was a member of the Band, noticed his son, Will Wood, playing with a horned toad. The idea came to him to place the toad in the cornerstone. They named him 'Old Rip' and he lived peacefully in this cornerstone until February 28, 1928, when the courthouse was demolished to make way for a new one. Three thousand persons were on hand to watch the opening of the cornerstone to see how 'Old Rip' had fared. Judge Ed S. Pritchard removed the Bible and other objects, and at the bottom was
— Submitted March 15, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on March 15, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.