Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Textile Hall, built in 1917 to host the annual Southern Textile Exposition, stood on this site until 1992. The first exposition of the Southern Textile Association had been held in Greenville in 1915. Textile Hall, designed by J. E. Sirrine & Co. at a cost of $130,000, was a five-story Renaissance Revival building: its facade featured a limestone tablet bearing the initials "STE" for "Southern Textile Exposition" and the words "Textile Hall"
When built, Textile Hall was described as "a fitting monument to...the proper cooperative spirit." It hosted the Southern Textile Exposition from 1917 to 1962 and gave Greenville the title "Textile Center of the South." It also hosted many other meetings and special events, such as the annual Southern Textile Basketball Tournament, with teams representing mills across the South. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, it was demolished in 1992.
Erected 2006 by The City of Greenville and the Hampton-Pickney Neighborhood Association. (Marker Number 23-31.)
Location. 34° 51.132′ N, 82° 24.181′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville Touch for map. Marker is located in front of St. Mary's Catholic School and Church. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St Mary's Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); McKay Memorial Chapel (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prospect Hill Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Buncombe Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Downtown Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Plants Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic River Cane (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of the Reedy River (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Regarding Textile Hall. The growth of the Southern Textile Exposition prompted construction of the 12-floor Poinsett Hotel in 1924. The $1.5 million hotel was completed in 1925.
Also see . . . National Register Information on Textile Hall. Note: Textile Hall was demolished and removed from the Register in 2000. This link, however, includes a photography of the hall as it stood in the 1970s. (Submitted on August 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,058 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on August 19, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on August 17, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.