Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carthage in Panola County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Central Baptist Church

 
 
Central Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
1. Central Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized with 17 members on September 26, 1901, Central Baptist has been a significant part of Carthage's religious and cultural heritage through the years. Formed under the leadership of the Rev. H. E. Harris, the early congregation included members of the Harris, Butler, Comer, Gillaspie, Kirkley, Collins, Nelson, Neal and Bowman families. They very quickly formed a Sunday school and a Ladies Aid Society, and by the end of the year had invited J. M. Wright to be their first pastor.

Central Baptist Church held its worship services and other meetings in rented space until its first sanctuary was completed in 1911. Although the congregation struggled with financial hardships in its early years, by the 1940s, membership was large enough to initiate plans for the construction of a new building. Completed in 1949, it contained a 450-seat auditorium and served until 1987, when an even larger building was constructed.

Out of its own growth, Central Baptist Church sponsored a mission congregation in Carthage, which became Southside Baptist Church. Members have participated in other mission projects, both in and outside of Texas. Throughout its history, the congregation has developed programs and ministries of education, outreach, music and worship, as it continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders.
The Central Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
2. The Central Baptist Church

 
Erected 2001 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12563.)
 
Location. 32° 9.384′ N, 94° 20.446′ W. Marker is in Carthage, Texas, in Panola County. Marker is at the intersection of West Sabine Street and North Sycamore Street, on the right when traveling west on West Sabine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 West Sabine Street, Carthage TX 75633, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of Jimmy Arnold (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Margie Neal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jonathan Anderson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Panola County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jim Reeves (approx. 3.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Central Baptist Church history from its website. (Submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Central Baptist Church and marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
3. Central Baptist Church and marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement