Kerby in Josephine County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Kerby(ville) 1850's to Present
Inscription. In 1854, Mr. James Kerby obtained first donation land claim in what became Kerbyville. Nearby gold fields attracted many miners and the town became a center of commerce. Mr. Kerby became the first postmaster in September 1855 when the Kerbyville Post Office was established. In 1856 Kerbyville was voted to become Josephine County's second county seat. The growing town had two hotels, The Sawyer/Union and the larger Pioneer Hotel. Several saloons helped quench the thirst of area miners and residents alike. Several general stores provided supplies to both miners and settlers. Town Doctor Dr. Daniel Holton, donated land on which a two story jail was built. It had four cells on the first floor and two on the second. A small sheriff's office was added later to the side. A nearby oak served as the hanging tree. Kerbyville's prosperity declined and in 1883 the county seat was moved to Grants Pass, where the Oregon and California Railroad arrived in 1885. Today, the Kerbyville Museum and History Center holds many exhibits and artifacts that tell the story of the settlement of the Illinois Valley and the glory days of Kerbyville.
By Jim Cirner
1. Kerby(ville) 1850's to Present Marker
Erected 2017 by Umpqua Joe Chapter 1859 E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
42° 11.84′ N, 123° 39.036′ W. Marker is in Kerby, Oregon, in Josephine County. Marker is on Redwood Highway (U.S. 199), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24195 Redwood Highway, Kerby OR 97531, United States of America.
By Jim Cirner
2. Kerby(ville) 1850's to Present Marker
The 1880 WM & Nannie Naucke House
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Hay (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2017, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2017, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.