History Written in Departures & Arrivals
A second depot was built around 1881 where the present structure stands. It was razed in 1911 to be replaced by the present structure, which was completed in 1912 for the sum of $12,693. The new depot was described as the finest on the L&N line between Louisville and Knoxville. President Theodore Roosevelt passed through on the L&N in 1912 but the most famous visitor to Stanford's depot was then- Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt, on October 22, 1932, during his presidential campaign.
Passenger traffic declined in the mid-twentieth century. The last passenger train stopped at Stanford on July 31, 1958. The last freight train passed on July 8, 1987. The depot building was not used by the railroad after 1986 and ownership passed to the City of Stanford. Through a succession of grants, gifts and matching funds, a $400,000 program to restore the depot as a community
Location. 37° 31.847′ N, 84° 39.79′ W. Marker is in Stanford, Kentucky, in Lincoln County. Marker is at the intersection of Depot Street and Plum Street, on the right when traveling south on Depot Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanford KY 40484, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baughman Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Kentucky's Oldest Main Street (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilderness Road - Loganís Station (about 700 feet away); Cherokees in Kentucky (about 700 feet away); Benjamin Logan (about 700 feet away); Lincoln County (about 700 feet away); County Named, 1780 (about 700 feet away); Stanford Female College (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanford.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.