Kentucky's Oldest Main Street
Benjamin Logan, a pioneer from Virginia, came to Kentucky with Daniel Boone. Logan built a fort in 1775 near St. Asaph Creek, which runs south of the city of Stanford. A model of the fort is located at the Depot.
In 1975, Logan's Trace, the route followed by Colonel Logan, became part of the famous Wilderness Road by an act of the Kentucky Legislature. Stanford's Main Street is part of the Wilderness Road and is the oldest Main Street in Kentucky.
The city of Stanford has made great strides in preserving its heritage. Many homes and buildings have been restored in the past few years. Several more areas are to be restored in the near future.
The central historic area was named on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. In 2004, Stanford was designated a Preserve American Community by First Lady Laura Bush.
You can walk in the footsteps of the earliest pioneers. View the earliest marriage and will records preserved in the courthouse. Our town is rich in pioneer, Civil War, and railroad history. You will see why Stanford is a great place to live.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilderness Road - Loganís Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Earliest Church (about 400 feet away); Cherokees in Kentucky (about 400 feet away); Baughman Mill (about 500 feet away); Stanford Female College (about 500 feet away); Benjamin Logan (about 500 feet away); Lincoln County (about 500 feet away); County Named, 1780 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanford.
Also see . . .
1. Benjamin Logan - Ohio History Central. (Submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
2. Benjamin Logan - Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
3. Wilderness Road - Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.