Haarlem, North Holland, Netherlands
Hoofdwacht / Civic Guard Headquarters
One of the oldest buildings in Haarlem. The side walls date to the 13th-14th century. Possibly the first city hall. Facade renovated around 1650. From 1755 to about 1900 was the civic guard headquarters. Now the home of the Haarlem Historical Society.
Erected by The ANWB.
Location. 52° 22.899′ N, 4° 38.193′ E. Marker is in Haarlem, North Holland. Marker is at the intersection of Grote Markt and Smedestraat on Grote Markt. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Grote Markt 17, Haarlem, North Holland 2011 RC, Netherlands.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vishal / "Fish Hall" (within shouting distance of this marker); May 8 1945 / 8 Mei 1945 (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Hofje 'In den Groenen Tuin' / Hofje "In the Green Garden" (about 150 meters away); Site of Former Synagogue Huis Van Schagen / The Van Schagen Building (about 180 meters away); Hofje van Oorschot (about 210 meters away); Paterskerk (R.K.) / Church of Our Father (Roman Catholic) (about 210 meters away); Teylers Fundatiehuis / The Teyler Foundation House (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Haarlem.
Also see . . . Hoofdwacht, Haarlem (Wikipedia). The Hoofdwacht (Head Watch, or "Civic guard headquarters") is a historically important rijksmonument. It was built in the 13th century and it is considered the oldest building in Haarlem, Netherlands. It has served as a printshop for Coornhert, as a temporary council meeting location across from City Hall and even as a jail. It is located on the Grote Markt across from the St. Bavochurch. (Submitted on July 14, 2017.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 14, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.