First Jain Temple in Central Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
First Jain Temple in Central Ohio
“Souls render service to one another”
The Jain Center of Central Ohio was established on May 12, 1991. The foundation stone of the Jain temple, the first of its kind in Central Ohio, was laid down on October 15-16, 2011. The temple was dedicated on July 19-23 2012. More than 1,000 people from all across Ohio, many other states, and India participated in holy rituals to install deities of Jina (translated as "spiritual victors" and God). Following the rituals, the temple was opened for regular worship. The Jain Center is a place for the teaching of non-violence, reverence for live, and compassion for all beings. The Jain principle of karma states, "As you sow, so shall you reap."
History of Jainism in Ohio
"Ahimsa Parmodharam-Non-injury to all living things"
Shri Virchand Raghavji Ghandi (1864-1901), a disciple of Acharya Vijayanandsurijl (Atmaramji) Maharaj (1830-1896), introduced the Jain religion to North American during the Parliament of the World's Religions held in September 1893 at Chicago. A year later, Gandhi introduced Jainism to Ohio during a visit to Cleveland. The Jain religion recognizes twenty-four Tirthankars (fordmakers) during the present era. The twenty-fourth and last Tirthankar was Lord Mahavira (599-527 BCE). The basic principles
Erected 2016 by Jain Center of Central Ohio The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 122- 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 11.077′ N, 82° 59.471′ W. Marker is in Lewis Center, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Old State Road (County Route 10) and Ashcreek Ave., on the right when traveling north on Old State Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6651 S Old State Rd, Lewis Center OH 43035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Africa Community (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Gooding House and Tavern / Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History (approx. 1.8 miles away); James Kilbourne / Anson Williams The Four Chaplains (approx. 1.9 miles away); Kingwood Memorial Park Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Liberty Presbyterian Church / Nathan Carpenter (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Union Land Company and the Case Family / The Olentangy River Road (approx. 3˝ miles away); Flint Veterans Garden (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Categories. • Asian Americans • Churches & Religion • Peace •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.