Pioneer Teacher, 1779 / McAfee Station
Pioneer Teacher, 1779
John May, first teacher in school at McAfee Station, 1779. One of four Ky. Dist. delegates, 1781, to Va. House of Burgesses. First clerk of Supreme Court, Ky. Dist. and one of original trustees of Transylvania Seminary, 1783. With Simon Kenton, famed frontiersman, he owned land where Maysville, Ky. was established by Va., 1787. It was named for May.
Site of stockade built, 1779, by McAfee, McCoun, McGee, Curry and Adams families, 1 1/2 miles west on Salt River on land owned by James McAfee. He and brothers, William, Robert, George, Samuel in 1773-5, marked and improved land in area, 1785. New Providence Presbyterian Church formed. The third church erected by this continuous body stands one mile north.
Erected 1966 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 328.)
Location. 37° 51.463′ N, 84° 51.161′ W. Marker is in Salvisa, Kentucky, in Mercer County. Marker is on Louisville Road (U.S. 127), on the left
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Pioneer Teacher, 1779 / McAfee Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Warwick/Oregon / Warwick (approx. 3.4 miles away); Gabriel Slaughter (approx. 5.3 miles away); Neighbors-Governors / Mercer Governors (approx. 5.4 miles away); Boone's Cave (approx. 5.6 miles away); Original Fort Harrod Site (approx. 6.6 miles away); James Harrod (approx. 6.6 miles away); Pioneer Graveyard (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salvisa.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Pioneer Teacher, 1779 / McAfee Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.