Thomaston in Knox County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
General Henry Knox’s Estate
—The Museum in the Street —
In 1795, Major-General Henry Knox retired from public life and built a magnificent estate in Thomaston. His wife, Lucy Fluker Knox, named it Montpelier. A reconstruction of the original house, now a museum, can be seen at the intersection of Routes 1 and 131 south. General Knox died in 1806. Although he had owned much land, without his guidance the family estate fell into ruin. This photograph, taken in 1871, shows that it was beyond repair. It was razed to make room for the Knox & Lincoln Railroad. The corner of the original house’s foundation is under the gray office building across the tracks.
The last remaining structure, one of seven outbuildings of the original estate, is now the Thomaston Historical Society. Between 1872 and 1956, the building served as the town’s railroad station. Since 1972 it has been home to the Society.
Erected by Town of Thomaston, Maine. (Marker Number 21.)
Location. 44° 4.892′ N, 69° 10.093′ W. Marker is in Thomaston, Maine, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of High Street (Maine Route 131) and Main Street (U.S. 1), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the back side of the Knox Mansion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 High Street, Thomaston ME 04861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Oval Garden and Willow Pond (a few steps from this marker); The Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Heirloom Vegetable and Fruit Garden, Barn and Orchard (within shouting distance of this marker); Terraces, Overlook and Allées (within shouting distance of this marker); The Revere Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Encampment Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Thomaston, Maine, the Town That Went to Sea (approx. ¾ mile away); The Builders, the Captains and the Seamen of Thomaston Ships (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thomaston.
More about this marker. Two photographs of the original Knox mansion, courtesy of the Thomaston Historical Society, appears on the marker.
Also see . . . Henry Knox Museum. (Submitted on July 15, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.