Thomaston in Knox County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The Meeting House
Construction of The First Parish Meeting House began in 1795, and was completed in 1797, with Henry Knox’s help. Members of the parish, the Knox family was involved in church activities at the meeting house, which was located next to the site of today’s Montpelier. The Meeting House will be reconstructed to replicate the original structure and will serve as a gathering space for museum events, classes and also hold an art gallery.
One of Knox’s later donations to the parish was the Revere Bell, located today in front of Montpelier. The bell was cast by Paul Revere, and Knox gave it to the parish to use in the bell tower after the construction of the building.
A Commons area and seatwall will be located between Montpelier and the Meeting House and will serve as additional public space for gatherings. (Marker Number 6.)
Location. 44° 4.876′ N, 69° 10.093′ W. Marker is in Thomaston, Maine, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (Maine Route 131) and Main Street (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the Knox Mansion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 High Street, Thomaston ME 04861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance General Henry Knox’s Estate (within shouting distance of this marker); The Revere Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oval Garden and Willow Pond (within shouting distance of this marker); Encampment Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Terraces, Overlook and Allées (within shouting distance of this marker); Heirloom Vegetable and Fruit Garden, Barn and Orchard (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Thomaston, Maine, the Town That Went to Sea (approx. ¾ mile away); The Builders, the Captains and the Seamen of Thomaston Ships (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thomaston.
More about this marker. A plan for the location of the Meeting House at Knox Estate appears on the marker, along with a photograph of the original Meeting House.
Also see . . . Henry Knox Museum. (Submitted on July 15, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.